Thursday, September 17, 2009

first things first

I feel the need to try to be upfront about where I'm coming from as I start talking about the books that I'm reading. So I'll do my best.

As our culture has moved into the 21st century, many churches have not. I have often said that many of the churches with which I have had experience are doing 1960's or 70's ministry (just for fun, let's call it 'old church'). Among other things, their programs, weekly gatherings, interaction (or lack thereof) with the community, and budgets reflect this reality. This is obviously a problem, and many people within the last decade or so have noted as much. As a result, various reform movements have arisen to bring churches up to date ('today church').

I agree that the task these movements have undertaken is necessary. However, I have a serious problem with the way this has most often played out. As people who find themselves in an 'old church' setting decide they should be doing 'today church' ministry, they usually do one of two things. A: They leave and join a church they think is more in line with what they think should be happening (or start one themselves). Or B: They immediately try to make everyone in their current church understand that they're doing it wrong, and show them how to do it right.

I believe both options show a lack of respect for (and thus to damage to) individuals and the community. The first shows a complete disregard for the community to which one belongs. To pack up and leave because 'they're doing it wrong,' is self-centered. It says, 'I think there might be a better way to do this, but I don't want to put in the time and effort to help you see this better way. You're on your own.'

The second demonstrates an unwillingness to listen to or take into account the concerns of the others. Very few people enjoy being told outright that they are wrong. Most will get defensive. There are most likely dozens of circumstances that have brought a person to the point where they understand the need for a 'today church.' The light bulb may have come on because of a book they read or a conversation they had or a film they saw, but that book, conversation, or film may not have the same effect on others. Being part of a community involves recognizing that another person's journey is not the same as my own. When we find ourselves understanding an issue from different perspectives, it is not my job to force them to see it from my point of view. I need to be patient and humble, knowing that we may never fully agree and I may be the one who is wrong here.

The final option, which I don't know if anyone has done (at least anyone who writes books about these sorts of things - but I guess that's maybe the point), is to remain within the community and engage in a slow and probably painful process of listening, growing, changing, and working together. I believe this is what it means to be part of the Body of Christ. It involves sacrifice and submission and serving from all parties. It won't be flashy. It won't happen overnight. It probably won't give you warm fuzzy feelings. You probably will never 'reach your goal.'

But I bet it will be worth it...

No comments: