Saturday, September 20, 2008

the greatest commandment

Some friends and I were having a discussion about Jesus' comments on the greatest commandment.  Whenever the gospels record him talking about this issue, they actually list two commandments - love God & love your neighbor.  In our discussion, we talked about the idea that these two things should be our most natural instincts, because they are the greatest instructions God has given us.  So when we're faced with conflict, it should be these things that flow out from us.

When I engage in political conversations, I rarely find myself able to hold on to these two truths.  I'm not loving God, because I quickly shift my focus and hope off of Him and towards a political candidate/party/issue.  I'm relying on a human institution to solve the great problems of this world.  And I don't love my neighbor, because I'm usually thinking about how wrong, ignorant, and  narrow-minded, "they" are.  

Is it possible to be immersed in the world of politics without losing hold of the two great commandments?  That's what I'm hoping to do by this fast.  I guess we'll have to see....  

No comments: